Money Under the Mattress
Found money – sounds good eh? Is there anything better than finding money you’d forgotten you had?
This page is a new little experiment for me. It’s where I’m going to share my efforts to take all the odds and sods of cash that aren’t working for me or that I’d previously forgotten about – the £20 lurking in a forgotten bank account for example – and write about my attempts to coral them into some brand new savings.
I’ve opened a new bank account specifically for the purpose of depositing money this newfound cash, so I can easily see how it tots up and I’ll keep a tally of the found money here for your nosiness and edification – and to keep me inspired too.
Here are the found money sources that I’ve come up with so far:
- $100 bill from about a decade ago. When I came back from a trip to New York the exchange rate wasn’t good, so I didn’t cash it. Then, when it was good, I forgot. Time now just to do it whatever the rate or that note will be as old as the Founding Fathers before I get around to it!
- 550 francs Ditto the New York trip. I forgot to cash them in before the euro replaced the franc. Now I need to investigate whether Bank of France will still buy them, or have a think what else to do with them. Have I missed the boat with this? Are they worthless now? Need to investigate this one.
- £50 travellers cheque. Are you sensing a theme here yet? What is it about me and returning from holiday? Do I hang onto the money in an attempt to hang onto the sunshine? This baby’s days are numbered – time to cash it in.
- £60 overpayment on my credit card. Yippee. Oh, it wasn’t always this way. I used to be very bad at paying credit card bills (*slaps hand*) and was always incurring late fees. Now, to avoid those I’ve been paying £10 by direct debit into my credit card account each month. But as I’ve also been trying to no longer use my card very much I’ve built up £60 surplus in my credit card account. Ba-bing – I’m shifting it into the found money account toot suite.
- Money found in old handbags, pockets etc. Nothing better than finding a tenner in the pocket of your jeans. Any I find from now on’s going straight into the found money account.
- eBay proceeds. From now on, if I sell anything on eBay, which I sometimes do, I’ll class the cash as found money.